Founded in 1918 by Congregation Shaarey Zedek, Clover Hill Park Cemetery has been a part of the Metropolitan Detroit Jewish community for over 3 generations supporting the full spectrum of ritual observance.
The original vision by the founders of the cemetery in 1918 stated:
…It is the earnest aim and ambition of Congregation Shaarey Zedek to adequately provide what has long been recognized as a most pressing, even vital need-a modern, high grade cemetery that will provide a last resting place in the midst of beautiful surroundings, with assurance that it will for all time be maintained as a source of comfort and sacred attractiveness to those who are left behind. In this purpose, we believe we shall succeed for we have bound ourselves, one and all to carrying out of the ideas and ideals embraced by the creation of this Cemetery...
Over 90 years later the Board of Trustees of Clover Hill Park Cemetery remains steadfast in these same ideals providing continuity to the operations and dedicated to the everlasting beauty of the facility.
The history of Jewish Detroit can be traced through the gates of Clover Hill Park Cemetery as the most prominent Jewish citizens of the past and present are at rest in this pastoral setting. In addition, Clover Hill Park Cemetery has the guardianship of the Beth Olam Cemetery (a.k.a. The Smith Street Cemetery), located on the grounds of the General Motors Poletown plant with burials dating back to 1848. As a testament to our past heritage.
Beth Olam Cemetery is open twice a year to the public for visitation.
Beth Olam Cemetery Beth Olam Cemetery Entrance
The Chapel at Clover Hill Park Cemetery has been in continuous operation since 1921 providing both comfort and solace for those who visit. Designed by Detroit architect George V. Pottle in the early 20th century. Pottle is known for his early cinema theatre and home designs which included the East Side Theatre and the Linwood Theatre.
In 2006 the Mandell Berman Administration Building was opened on the cemetery grounds providing patrons easy access to the cemetery staff. Mr. Berman has been a visionary and guiding light to Clover Hill Park Cemetery and Congregation Shaarey Zedek for over 50 years.
In 2007 the Chapel at Clover Hill Park Cemetery was re-dedicated as the Davidson/Hermelin Chapel honoring the lives and dedication to Congregation Shaarey Zedek and Clover Hill Park Cemetery of William “Bill” Davidson and David Hermelin.